Harry and Ellen

Harry and Ellen
ARRIVAL IN ALASKA

Saturday, May 21, 2011

May 21 Dawson Creek British Columbia


Hello followers!!! We crossed the provincial line into British Columbia and stopped here in Dawson Creek.  For those less experienced which is probably everybody reading this Dawson Creek is Mile 0 of the "world famous" Alaska Highway.  It means we have about 1500 miles to go to Fairbanks, Alaska.  We have already done about 1700 miles since Mesquite.  The weather has been rather cool, around 50 to 60F.  We have seen lots of oil wells, trees and the small towns of northern Alberta.  BTW for those of you who are worried(Barb and Michelle) there are days when the campgrounds of Canada do not have wifi which prevents my blogging. Although we have Verizon mifi it is very expensive when I must roam and to be honest now that we are on a "fixed income" we dont feel like spending the roaming charges. So all of you (B&M) dont worry if you dont hear from me on my blog.  I do write every day and save it till I can get on a free wifi.  Everytime I've been in Canada, the people are so nice, eh!  I even tell them I'm from New York originally and they are even pleased to hear that. Go figure.  Diesel is getting more expensive the further we go running now about $4.60 a gallon.  Of course I have to do much math to change from liters to gallons and then from Canadian dollars to US dollars and then from kilometers to miles to figure I am getting 14.528 miles per gallon. But of course I got 730 on my math SAT's so I can do it pretty fast.  Ellen always says when I am doing this, "what the f..k is the difference" For any crazy dutchmen reading this 1000 miles is 1600km so you can do the math yourselves.  To Tyler and Josie the next time I do this trip I am taking you guys so you can drive. That will be in 2028!!!!! Finally if you read this blog please let's see some comments. Thanks!

2 comments: